Search This Blog

Sunday, February 22, 2015

Wonky Log Cabin blocks and other nifty stuff!


Our Creative Director, Sharon, walked into the shop yesterday with her version of a "Wonky Log Cabin" block.  We loved it.  

After much tutoring on her part, I wanted to make one too!  My first attempt wasn't pretty.  Trust me.  

My inner fabric goddess told me I can do this: I can whack off a piece of fabric at a weird angle and not worry about it;  I can sew another strip of fabric to it, whack that one off at yet another weird angle and I can keep doing this until it's the size block I want it to be.  I can do this.   

When I finished Wonky Block #1, Sharon rescued it from me and made a chicken pin cushion using the pattern from an issue of "Block" magazine. It looks much better as a pin cushion!  

I quickly learned the difference between 'subtle wonk" and "severe wonk" while making my blocks.  

I decided to use 1930's prints for both Wonky blocks. My second block actually looks like a Wonky Log Cabin block.  YIPPEE!!  

Sharon's are much prettier than mine but, in my defense, I just started making these yesterday!  

When in doubt, go to www.quiltdad.com for his wonderful tutorials (halfway down the page of the sitemap section, look for "Wonky Log Cabin") where you'll find four different types of Wonky blocks.  

Sharon's Wonky Log Cabin Block 

another version of a Wonky Log Cabin block from www.quiltdad.com by Sharon 

Sharon made four of  of these blocks then sewed together to make a 12" block 


Sharon's third version of  a Wonky Log Cabin from www.quiltdad.com 



 
My second wonky log cabin block using 1930's prints.  

chicken pin cushion Sharon made from my first (ugly) attempt of a Wonky Log Cabin block 


left side view of the pin cushion Sharon made from my Wonky Log Cabin block 

Sharon's Secret Sister, Vickie, gave her some paper piecing projects (among other things) as her February 'reveal' gift last Saturday.  

Sharon wasted no time getting started.  Yesterday, she brought in the hexagons she's already completed.  

Wow!  That was fast!  

Sharon showing Dorothy the paper piecing paper she used for her hexies. 


some of the hexies Sharon made since last Saturday! 
more hexies Sharon made this week 

hexies Sharon joined together 


Not everyone could make it to our "Secret Sister" reveal party last Saturday so, Dorothy 'met' her "sister", Faye, at the shop yesterday.  

As it turns out, Dorothy and Faye were college roommates who'd lost touch with one another over the years.  

We brought them back together yesterday!  

Dorothy's February gift from her Secret Sister:  a pink angel.  
Dorothy and her 'sister" Faye, together again!  


We big brown truck made it through 8" of the fluffy white stuff to bring more goodies this week.  

We're thrilled to finally have the Fat Quarter Bundles, Fat Eighth Bundles and Turnovers of "Fresh Air" by American Jane for Moda.  YIPPEE!!  

We now have all the pre-cuts of this line in addition to most of it's fabric on the bolt.  

If you're a 1930's fan, you'll love this collection.   
"Fresh Air" bundles, turnovers and mini-charms. 
We also received "Curve It Up" patterns for the Quick Curve Ruler.  This packet contains 12 different blocks using the Q.C.R.  

A different pattern for each month!  How cool is that? 

"Curve It Up":  12 different patterns using the Quick Curve Ruler 

Another nifty book by Eleanor Burns:  "Day and Night" offers several different quilts using an acrylic template, which is included.  




The Applique Pressing Sheets also arrived this week. These are great to use while making a Mondo or Midi bag.  



"Seasonal Silhouettes" blocks 2 and 3 arrived this week.  Each block has laser cut fusible shapes for applique and includes the batik background.  

These are by Edyta Sitar for Laundry Basket Quilts. 


These batiks found their way to the shop this week. They are from the "Summer Vacation" and "Sun Drenched" lines for Moda.  

Both lines sound delightful as I look out the window and see snow falling.......Summer Vacation....Sun Drenched.  
"Summer Vacation" and "Sun Drenched" batiks on the bolt 

Two Bella Solids (by Moda) also showed up this week:  "Summer House Lime" and "Betty's Teal".  



Dorothy's husband, Lee, decided to take a quick nap after making two trips to the shop yesterday: once for shopping the second to 'meet' her Secret Sister. 

Thanks, Lee.  You're a real trooper.  I'll try to have a pillow and blankie available for your next nap!  


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here: