Search This Blog

Wednesday, August 7, 2013

"Civil War Jubilee" by Barbara Brackman

Three years ago a big group of folks stopped by after they'd participated in a Civil War re-enactment.  Their costumes were fabulous.  They were still in "character" and looking for wool to make pants for their uniforms.  The wool we had wasn't the right color so they started to leave.  

Before he left, one of the re-enactors said, "Remember the people who've died so you can live."  It literally gave me chills.  I'll never forget it as long as I live.  

When I opened the box that was waiting for me today, I thought of that man, the group he was with and the people who have died so I can live.  Freedom.  It comes at a great cost. 

I'm not sure why but, I cried when I saw what was inside the box.  Maybe it's because of my nephew, Nathan, getting hurt in Afghanistan.  Maybe it's all the stories everyone has shared with me since last week. Maybe it's because I really don't have a clue what it's like to be a solider.   

Inside the box was the pre-cuts of Barbarba Brackman's new line called "Civil War Jubilee".  The colors are dark and muted.  The patterns are much like some of the costumes the re-enactors were wearing that day.  

Remember the people who've died so you can live.  

  







No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here: