Search This Blog

Sunday, August 25, 2013

P-Dub does Dallas!



P-DUB’S QUILT STUFF
12203 HWY 76
EXETER, MO 65647



August 24th, 2013 newsletter  

FALL SHOP HOP:  October 4th and 5th from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  (yes, we’ll be open both days!)

NEW HOURS: EVERY Saturday (closed Memorial Day, Labor Day and December 28th)

HOURS: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

It seems like a month has gone by since I wrote the last newsletter.  It all started on August 10th when Kay, Missy and I attended a trunk show by Jenny Doan at The Quilted Garden in Aurora.  Jenny is famous for her tutorials on You Tube (and she’s just as zany in person).  She only uses pre-cuts when making quilts.  My head was spinning when it was over and I was totally inspired by her.  If you ever get the chance to attend her trunk show, do it!  She’s wonderful.  I walked away totally inspired and full of ideas. 

Sweetness, the kids and I left the next day (the 11th) for Dallas.  Moda was having their Open House and I wanted to go (any chance to be surrounded by that much fabric is a wonderful thing).  I had a list of things to shop for but quickly realized I could get into serious financial trouble being in a warehouse with so much stuff (plus my head was still spinning from Jenny’s trunk show).  I broke out in a cold sweat, my palms were sweaty, my heart was racing………I was NOT having a hot flash………I was having a “moment”…….I was standing inside the fabric Mecca of the Universe, the Holy Grail of quilting, the Alpha and Omega of quilt making.  YIKES!  Thank goodness I went to the bathroom before I had my ‘’moment”.  This was not the first time I’ve gone to Moda but, for some reason, this time, it was different.  I had to get a grip…..and fast.  I recovered fairly quickly and started shopping. 

I really wanted to get fabrics to make “Quilts of Valor”.  It just so happened I found quite a few to choose from.  YIPPEE!!!  I got several bolts of “Old Glory Gatherings” by Primitive Gatherings.  Reds, whites and blues.  They’re so pretty.  

Sweetness gave me a “Clover Mini Iron” a couple of years ago for my birthday.  I love it.  Pat was helping me with the Midi bag I’m making and brought the mini iron she has.  Hers has a nifty plastic guard and a bigger tip.  I fell in love with it.  Guess what…..I found the new and improved versions at Moda.   

The new versions are packaged two different ways: the iron by itself OR with an “assortment” set which has several interchangeable tips and gizmos.  I particularly like that the temperature control is directly on the iron,  has an ON/OFF switch built into the electric cord and has the plastic guard.  How cool is that?  Speaking of cool, I also snagged some special totes for the irons (and all the tips if you have the ‘assortment’ set) as well as bigger tips (sold separately) for either iron.  
    
Everyone knows I have poor impulse control. P-O-O-R IMPULSE CONTROL (aka P.I.C).  I was thrilled to be standing in the fabric Mecca of the Universe, super duper happy to find the patriotic fabric and the newest version of the Clover mini irons BUT, I almost wet my pants when I saw this next item. (I really need to get out more often)…..it’s called “The Quilter’s Travel Case” by Omni Grid.  Grab a cup of coffee and get comfortable.  This little dandy is wonderful.  

Hear me when I say the P.I.C. kicked in and I went nuclear.  This little dandy has a place for everything yet, it’s compact:  it has a separate compartment for quilt blocks; books; spools of thread; rotary cutters, rulers; a built in pin cushion, a pouch that zips and a shoulder strap.  It looks like a briefcase but….it’s not!  I couldn’t put them in the cart fast enough. I kept looking over my shoulder to make sure no one was going to snag them out of my cart!   

I took Karla’s “Paper Piecing” class on the 17th.  It was wonderful (this may be a new addiction).  Karla brought a couple of books by Carol Doak for us to look at.  They were inspiring.  She also showed us a nifty pair of tweezers that are great for removing the paper when you’re finished. I ordered both Carol Doak books and the tweezers…..they’re here!    

We’ve received a bunch of new stuff since the last newsletter.  Here’s what I can remember:
·         Bolts and bolts of “Old Glory Gatherings” by Primitive Gatherings—Quilts of Valor, here we come!
·         “Sunnyside” jelly rolls, layer cakes, charm packs and mini charms by Kate Spain for Moda (September’s monthly club)
·         “Collections for a Cause--Love”  jelly rolls, layer cakes, charm packs and mini charms. I love these collections.  Howard Marcus (Howard Marcus Dunn a.k.a. Mark Dunn) is the owner of Moda. Every year he designs a fabric line and donates to profits to a different charity each year.  I think this year’s charity is St. Jude Children’s Hospital??? 
·          “Eat Your Fruits and Veggies” jelly rolls, layer cakes and charm packs by Pat Sloan for Moda
·         “Bear Country School” jelly rolls, layer cakes and charm packs by The Berenstain Bears for Moda--remember the Berenstain Bears? 
·         “Quilter’s Travel Case” by Omni Grid
·         “Creative Combinations” paper piecing book by Carol Doak
·         “Simply Sensational 9-Patch Stars” paper piecing book by Carol Doak
·         Carol Doak’s Foundation Paper--Legal sized—for paper piecing—we already had the 8 ½”x11” sheets in stock, now we have the legal size if you’re doing a large border or bigger block
·         “Pin Point” tweezers—great for paper piecing projects
·         “Easy Machine Paper Piecing” book
·         “Show Me How to Paper Piece”  book
·         Three more “Over the Rainbow” batiks in really funky colors:  Strawberry, Tootie Fruity and Trail Blue
·         120” wide white Moda muslin
·         Clover “Mini Iron II”—the iron by itself with plastic guard
·         Clover “Mini Iron II with Tip Assortment” set—includes lots of nifty interchangeable tips
·         3 ½”, 4 ½”, 6 ½”, 8 ½”, 9 ½” 11 ½”, 14 ½ and 15 ½” squares by Omni Grid and Creative Grids.  We now have every size square from 3 ½” to 20 ½” in stock.   
                                                                         
                     P-Dub's Calendar of Events:                                                                                                    
August 19th:  Sweetness started back to school

August 31st:  the shop will be closed for Labor Day weekend

September 14th:  Karla K. will be teaching “Paper Piecing”  from 1:00 p.m. - 4:00 p.m. 

September 21st and 22nd:  Discovery Quilters Quilt Show at Shell Knob Elementary School.  

September 28th:  Cheryl W. will have a trunk show at 10:00 a.m. and 2:00 p.m. demonstrating the AccuQuilt Go! Cutter and dies. If you’ve ever wondered how the Go! Cutter works and the beautiful quilts you can make using it, now is the time to find out. Cheryl is bringing lots of quilts she made using her Go! Cutter.  Don’t forget:  if you buy a Go! Cutter from us, you’ll receive a lifetime 15% discount on the mats and dies.  Please let me know which trunk show you would like to attend (10:00 a.m. or 2:00 p.m.) so we’ll have enough room for everyone.  Each trunk show will last approximately one hour. 

October 4th and 5th:  Fall Shop Hop from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.  The participating shops are “The Quilted Garden” in Aurora, “The Thistle Fabric Shop” in Pierce City and P-Dub's Quilt Stuff.  Purchase a starter kit for $3 at each shop, get some great discounts on fabric and help out a local charity.

Sometime in November:  help Melba celebrate her 80th birthday.  The time and date are yet to be determined so….stay tuned. 

Also (sometime) in November:  “Sweet Pea” by Kansas Troubles Quilters will be here.  We ordered the entire collection including all the pre-cuts (including honey buns and fat quarter/fat eighth bundles).  I don’t have the slightest idea where we’re going to put that much fabric but I’m sure we’ll think of something!  YIPPEE!  I can’t wait. 

I’ve been asked to explain how the monthly Moda pre-cuts clubs work.  We currently have four separate monthly Moda clubs: “Layer Cake” of the month; “Jelly Roll” of the month, “Charm Packs” of the month and the “Combo Club”.

·         The “Layer Cake” of the month club entitles you to one Moda layer cake each month.  Members of this club receive a 15% discount off each month’s layer cake 
·         The “Jelly Roll” of the month club entitles you to one Moda jelly roll each month.  Club members receive a 15% discount off each month’s jelly roll. 
·         The “Charm Packs” of the Month club entitles you to two duplicate Moda charm packs each month.  Members of this club receive a 15% discount off each month’s charm packs. 
·         The “Combo Club” is one layer cake, one jelly roll and one charm pack of Moda pre-cuts each month.  So far, they’ve always been from the same collection (I don’t think that will change).  Members of the “Combo Club” receive 20% off each month’s pre-cuts. 
  • ·         The fine print:  There is a one time fee of $5.00 to join (whether you join one club or all of them).  If you start in one club then decide to switch to another one, that’s allowed.  You will not have pay the $5.00 membership fee again.  We do ask that you make a one year commitment when joining any of the clubs and that you give us at least one month’s notice if you want to switch from one club to another. 
  • You can join any of the clubs at any time.  


This time of year makes me want to buy school supplies.  No one would know they were for me……….if I run into someone I know while “purchasing” you'd think I was getting it for Sweetness.  My name is Pam and I’m a school supplies junkie.  Is there a 12 step program for this?

See you Saturday,

P-Dub and Sweetness
P.S.  September’s monthly clubs are here.  It’s called “Sunnyside” by Kate Spain and is ready to be picked up.





No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here: