Search This Blog

Wednesday, July 24, 2013

The 1930's are (finally) here and Sweetness has letters behind his name!

                      P-DUB’S QUILT STUFF
12203 HWY 76
EXETER, MO 65647



NEW HOURS: EVERY Saturday (closed Memorial Day, Labor Day, the Saturday after Christmas)

HOURS:     9 a.m. to 5 p.m. 

I would like to say a big “Thank You” for all your thoughts and prayers for my nephew, Nathan.  I received an email from him that he’s being sent to a military hospital in Oklahoma for surgery.  We still don’t know his exact injury, just that one of his arms is involved.  I’ll keep you posted.  

There were three very large boxes waiting for me when I got home last Friday.  Inside was a glimpse of what heaven must be like!  The "1930's Playtime" fabric on the bolt is finally here. Thank goodness! This line is by Chloe's Closet for Moda.  We now have all the pre-cuts (layer cakes, charm packs, jelly rolls, mini-charms, fat quarter bundles, fat eighth bundles and honey combs) and 24 bolts of "yummy"-on-the-bolt! Pictures of these morsels of loveliness are already posted on the blog.  

Last week’s newsletter mentioned Karla K. would be teaching a Paper Piecing class in September.  The response I received was that’s entirely too long to wait so……Karla has agreed to teach another class on August 17th.  The class fee will be $20 and three hours in length.  If you’re interested in taking Karla’s August class, please email me (I can’t wait to take this class myself!).  Thanks, Karla for adding another class.  YIPPPEE!  I can't wait!  

With that said, Missy D. and I tried our hand at paper piecing last Saturday..…on our own.  I think we did pretty well.  I put fabric #2 on the wrong way (which I didn’t know until I flipped it over).  YIKES!  Thank goodness there was a seam ripper handy.  I struggled with the whole "put the fabric on one side/flip it over to sew" concept.  REALLY struggled.  My block kinda sorta looks like a block…….not a contorted mess of fabric like I thought it might.  Missy’s block, on the other hand, is perfect…….her very first paper piecing block EVER and it’s absolutely perfect.  I hate her guts. 

After the paper piecing experience last week, I ordered several books on the subject.  We received “300 Paper Pieced Quilt Blocks”, ”50 Little Paper Pieced Blocks” and “50 Fabulous Paper Pieced Stars” as well as “Carol Doak’s Foundation Paper” this week.  These books are great for beginners (like me) as well as the advanced paper piecer.  

I think Missy is a bad influence on me (she doesn’t know I have poor impulse control).  She brought in a really nifty book called “Six Halves Make A Whole Lot More” which I totally fell in love with.  Apparently there is a series of these books so…..I JUST HAD to order all of them: the one Missy brought in plus “Six Halves Make a Whole”, “Six Halves Make a Whole Starburst” and “Six Halves Make a Whole Sampler.”  All of these books use six half yards of fabric to make the quilts.  Really?  I can't wait to see which one will be the next shop sample.  


Continuing down the “Missy is a bad influence on me” path:  We also received the “Half Log Cabin Quilts” book this week....yet another book she brought in to tempt me with.  It worked!  They're here.....we got 'em.  Oh, yeah!  

The UPS and FedEx guys have been here a couple of times this week:  We received the “1930’s Playtime” Honey Combs (hexagons) as well as some of the “Cross Roads” pre-cuts.  We also received three sizes of big square rulers:  16 ½”, 18 1/2” and 20 ½” from Creative Grids.  Bigger is always better.  

I keep failing to mention we have the “Lone Star” kits by Quilt Smart.  They came in with the “Midi” and “Mondo” bag kits but I totally forgot to mention it.  Sorry!  Pictures of it are on the blog.  

The shop owners had our meeting for the upcoming Shop Hop in October this afternoon.  I’ll send details in next week's newsletter.  I'm very excited about what we're going to do this time.  

We also received “Mimi” fabric on the bolt today.  I’ll put pictures on the blog as soon as I can. I'm just getting in from the Shop Hop meeting.  

The shop looks a little different.  I went crazy last weekend and rearranged (almost) everything.  The “Kansas Troubles” fabric (on the bolt) is all together in it's own section.  Since the "1930's Playtime" fabric on the bolt came in, it forced me to make a special section for all the vintage, 1930’s and reproductions fabric as well.  I also moved the jelly rolls, layer cakes and charm packs.  That's a lot of moving!   


Becky H. brought in a quilt she’d made using the paper piecing method.  It’s gorgeous.  This was her first time using this technique but you’d never know it.  Kay S. also brought in her batik Log Cabin quilt last Saturday.  She decided to quilt it with hand embroidery.  She’s using the 108” backing with the stencil on the back.  When she’s finished with the quilting, the stencil washes out leaving her beautiful stitching.  Pictures of both are on the blog.  


LATE BREAKING NEWS:  Sweetness is a full fledged C.N.A. (as of this afternoon).  He completed his clinicals last week and passed his state boards this afternoon. WHEW!  I'M SO PROUD I COULD JUST BUST WIDE OPEN!  Give him a pat on the back the next time you see him.    

See you Saturday,

P-Dub and Sweetness 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here: