Search This Blog

Thursday, May 30, 2013

this week's newsletter


P-DUB’S QUILT STUFF

12203 HWY 76

EXETER, MO 65647 


 May 29th, 2013 newsletter

NEW HOURS: EVERY Saturday  (closed August 31st, December 28th).

HOURS: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Calling all quilters:  We will be making pillowcases for the Oklahoma tornado victims this Saturday, June 1st.   Consider this a shout-out to anyone who would like to help:  for the entire day, half a day or for an hour. 

The shop will be donating all the fabric for the pillowcases but if you would like to donate from your stash, please bring it with you.  We will use it.  The pillowcase pattern is very simple:  ¾ yard for the body, ¼ yard for the cuff and 2 ½” strip for the accent piece (I put a picture of my first two pillowcases on the blog).  I’ve pulled fabric from the shelves and ordered several bolts from Moda specifically for Saturday.  If you can’t make it but would like to donate fabric, please email us.  We’ll work something out. 

We have two Bernina sewing machines in the shop that can be used but we ask that you bring your sewing machine and basic sewing supplies.  If you aren’t able to sew but still want to help, there will be plenty of other things to do.  Sweetness is making lunch for everyone who volunteers (but potluck side dishes are always welcome!).  I’m not saying he’s making his world famous lasagna but, I’m not saying he isn’t J J J

I would like to have 100 pillowcases finished by 5:00 p.m. on Saturday (I think this is an attainable goal). My friend Sandy (in IL) has already made 12 pillowcases and shipped them so, I guess we only need to make 88 more! I’ve very excited about doing this for the tornado victims in Oklahoma.  Please come, if you can. 

Spring Quilt Market was the weekend of May 17th in Portland, Oregon…….we didn’t go!  Thank goodness.  Being on vacation last week was both a blessing and a curse: I didn’t have to get up at the crack of dawn every day but I also had entirely too much time to spend on the internet……ordering stuff for the shop.

The ‘stuff’ started arriving last week but the majority of it came in this week. After shuffling some things around, we might have room for everything!  Here’s a partial list of the new stuff: 

·        Two different sizes of Olfa “Spinning” rotary cutting mats (12”x12” and 17”x 17”)  Sweetness gave me one for my birthday and I LOVE it. 

·        A bajillion different kinds of Schmetz needles (they’re literally everywhere)

·        3 different colors of “Paint Box” junior batik jelly rolls (half the number of strips and half the price of a regular batik jelly roll),  We also have the matching “Paint Box” batik charm packs

·        Two sizes of Klutz gloves by Fons and Porter (cheaper than a trip to the emergency room!)

·        Steam Fast Mini steam irons that literally fit in the palm of your hand (they’re so small)

·        The new dies from AccuQuilt are here (these are so freakin’ cute) YIPPEE!!!! 

·         More “Tradewinds” patterns for The Strip Tube Ruler (this gizmo will change your life)

·        “School Days” reproduction fabric from Moda (I love reproductions)

·        More 18mm finger rotary cutters 

I’ve posted pictures of the new stuff on the blog. 

Our wedding anniversary was last week (Sweetness has tolerated me for 14 years).  I’m sure it seemed like dog years sometimes!  I’ve lost count of how many quilts I’ve made as gifts for people over the years.  I really don’t know the number.  With that said:  my friend Sandy in Illinois sent my birthday present (which just so happened to arrive on our anniversary).  What was inside the really big box was a bigger-than-king sized quilt she made using the “Double Slice Layer Cake” method with……drum roll please……”Pheasant Hill” layer cakes.  I squealed like a little girl when I saw it.  Not only is this the first quilt anyone has ever made for me (yours truly) but, she also quilted it herself……it’s bigger than a king size quilt….it could be used as a bedspread….it almost hits the floor on three sides.  Needless to say, I’ve posted pictures on the blog of (yet another) masterpiece by Sandy!  LOVE, LOVE, LOVE the quilt. Thanks, Sandy!  It’s beautiful and I LOVE it. 

As you know, (Cousin) Susan’s birthday is the day after mine.  This year she not only got a brand new bouncing baby Bernina for her birthday but also bought a Go! Cutter AND she received both on the same day!  How’s that for timing?  Congratulations, Susan.  We expect pictures of all your creations!

I’m still having trouble sending the newsletter through the web based site I use.  For the time being, I’m sending it through gmail.com (but please do not reply to the gmail.com address).  We’re still able to GET email at the centurylink.com address.  If this continues, I’ll be forced to post to the blog and pull the plug on emailing the newsletter each week.  Stay tuned. 

Please come by this Saturday, if you can.  I really think we can get 100 pillowcases made.  I know the tornado victims will appreciate our efforts.   

See you Saturday,

P-Dub and Sweetness

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here: