Search This Blog

Friday, June 14, 2013

June 15 newsletter


P-DUB’S QUILT STUFF

12203 HWY 76

                                                     EXETER, MO 65647       


 

NEW HOURS: EVERY Saturday (closed August 31st and December 28th)

HOURS: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Karen’s “Needle Turn Applique” class last Saturday was great.  Everyone had a blast (and learned a new addiction!). 
 
Karen was gracious enough to bring her “Mama Said” quilt which was chosen to hang at the 2013 AQS quilt show in Paducah, Kentucky this spring.   Karen made the quilt in honor of her Mother’s 90th birthday.  The pictures on the blog do NOT do this quilt justice.  It is truly stunning.  Thank goodness I put pictures of Karen’s class (and her quilt) on the blog….. before I lost the memory card to my camera…….   

I keep forgetting to mention: I finished the “Shop Hop” quilt by the self-imposed deadline of June 1st.   Cheryl W. quilted it and Pat is currently putting the binding on (everyone knows I’m allergic to the “b” word).  I’ll put pictures on the blog when Pat brings it back (providing I can find the memory card for my camera).    

Several months ago I made blocks using the “Double Slice Layer Cake” method using an “ABC 123” layer cake. This line is 1930’s/vintage/reproduction prints by designer American Jane for Moda.  Notice, I said I made the blocks………it was my first time doing this method so; I didn’t know what I was doing. I made the executive decision to color outside the lines and………it wasn’t the smartest thing I’ve ever done J J  

After a lot of finger tapping and head scratching, I turned the blocks over to Pat (our overworked non-paid employee) a.k.a. the “professional”.  She spread fairy dust on the blocks and worked her magic. Viola! She brought back the top and……it’s adorable (and the blocks are perfectly arranged). After getting it quilted, I turned it back over to Pat to do the ‘b’ word (remember, I’m allergic).  I’ll have Sweetness hang it up when she brings it back.  I’ll also put pictures of it on the blog (as soon as I find the memory card for the camera).   

I love new stuff. It doesn’t matter if it’s fabric, a new pattern, or a new gizmo (but I really love gizmos). This week’s new gizmos (notice it’s plural, not singular) are…..drum roll please…….9 degree wedge rulers, 10 degree wedge rulers, Simple Curves rulers, three sizes of circle wedge rulers and three sizes of Squedges.  We received a book called “Quilts without Corners” and some cool new patterns that use the new gizmos.  YIPPEE!! 

 Another nifty book we received this week is called “Fancy to Frugal—Authentic Quilt Patterns from the 30’s”.  I almost flipped when I saw all the old patterns and instantly knew we HAD to have this book in the shop.  We do! 

The “30’s Playtime” fabric line is coming sometime this month (or the first week in July) and now that we have this super cool book…………… I see a new quilt on the horizon.  If you’re a 1930’s/reproduction/vintage freak like I am, this book is definitely for you.

We also have a new fixture in the shop: The pre-cuts (layer cakes, charm packs and jelly rolls) were multiplying when we weren’t looking so; there is another baker’s rack in the shop so you can see everything better.   

Drum roll please………………the best “new” thing in the shop this week is the air conditioner. I know, I know.  It took four years to get heat in the shop.  I promised it wouldn’t take that long to get air conditioning and, it didn’t. Thank goodness.  We have air……cool…….wonderful……….circulating air. I’ll take a picture of this contraption and put on the blog when I find the memory card for my camera!  

Sweetness starts his clinicals next week……for six weeks. YIKES!  He bought his own blood pressure cuff, stethoscope and lifting belt. He’s already warned me I’m his “patient” for using the blood pressure cuff and stethoscope.  Oh joy.    

I realize it’s several months away but: Melba will celebrate her 80th birthday in November. We will have a birthday party for her in the shop at a yet-to-be determined time and date….stay tuned for details. 

Hopefully, I’ll be able to find the memory card for my camera between now and then. 
 

See you Saturday,

P-Dub and Sweetness

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here: