Search This Blog

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

Two air conditioners and a memory card later......

                                                                   P-DUB’S QUILT STUFF
12203 HWY 76
EXETER, MO 65647
June 22nd, 2013 newsletter
NEW HOURS: EVERY Saturday (closed Memorial Day, Labor Day and the Saturday after Christmas)
HOURS: 9 a.m. to 5 p.m.

Last week I couldn’t find the memory card for my camera. It was nowhere to be found. I have a very specific routine when I take pictures for the blog. After taking the pictures, I bring the camera to the house, remove the memory card and download the pictures onto the computer. Then I take the memory card out of the computer and leave it by the CPU unit so I know everything has been downloaded. This routine does not waiver. Never. Ever. 
 
But, I couldn't find the memory card to take pictures of the new stuff that came in. Since my routine NEVER changes, I knew it must be lost (or Catherine ate it). There were no definitive signs she'd eaten it so, I knew it was gone.........somehow thrown out by mistake...........GONE FOREVER. This went on for days..............until I decided to put the camera back in it's case...................that's when I saw it...........the memory card was right there....…..all along........in the slot where it belongs. I have no idea when I put it back in the camera. I guess I was more frazzled over the air conditioner than I thought. Holy cow!
 
 
Speaking of air conditioners: We were the proud owners of not one but two air conditioners last week. Oh boy! After a phone call from my brother, the engineer, it was determined air conditioner #1 wasn’t big enough to adequately cool the shop (with 12 foot ceilings). I’ll spare you the formulas used to determine BTU’s per cubic foot. Really. You don’t want to know. 

 


Sweetness and I packed air conditioner #1 back into the box and he went to Lowe’s on Friday morning (for the third time last week) to purchase air conditioner #2. Needless to say, Friday was a late night but……we were cool as cucumbers in the shop on Saturday. It was great! Thanks, Sweetness (and Curtis) for making this happen. Air conditioning is your friend! Really! We were cool as cucumbers…….it was so nice.

 


Now some news from the shop:  
For some reason Moda shipped July’s “of the month” fabric clubs. It’s called “Mimi”. If you’re a member of one of our monthly clubs, it’s here and ready to be picked up. If you want to wait until July is actually here, that’s fine too! I guess Moda wanted to avoid delaying shipping after July 4th??? I’m not sure. Anyway, they’re here and ready when you are, whether it's July or not!
 
We received some nifty new patterns this week. Two of them use one of the funky rulers we received last week and two are by Primitive Gatherings. I’ll post pictures of all the new patterns on the blog by Saturday (provided I don’t ‘lose’ the memory card again!). The "Squedges" and 9 degree wedge rulers are really funky. The 9 and 10 degree rulers are great for making bargello stuff a lot easier. We’re still cool as cucumbers……
 
The mini ironing boards and mini steam irons have been flying off the shelves. I should probably re-order more before both are all gone! 
 
Several people came in last Saturday with stuff they’d made (the pictures are already on the blog). I particularly love Barbara’s quilt. It has vintage buttons from her (and her husband’s) family and each block is on a different colored background. She used reproduction fabrics for the fan blades. Now I have a better idea of how to make the quilt pictured in my head (and have been hoarding reproduction fabrics for) since seeing her quilt. It’s truly stunning. We’re cool as cucumbers….
 
The flying geese are almost ready to fly: I finally decided how to orientate the “Cheater’s Flying Geese” strips Pat and I made (using charm packs and mini charms). After having a severe O.C.D. moment (or was that a couple of hours?) a week ago, I decided to throw caution to the wind and get it put together. The top is finished and I chose one of the “Pheasant Hill” fabrics by Kansas Troubles for the backing. Judi M. is going to quilt it and I’ll beg Pat to do the binding (remember, I’m allergic). When it’s finished, it will be a table runner for the “Sit N Sew” area in the shop. There’s a picture of it on the blog but keep in mind, it isn't completely finished. 
 
Speaking of that: The “Cheater’s Flying Geese” blocks were so easy to make I ordered layer cakes of the “Marbles” used in the above mentioned table runner. I’ve also ordered the "Marbles" charm packs but—who knows when either will arrive. If using the charm packs and mini-charms worked so well, I think layer cakes and charm packs will be great for a bigger sized project……this might call for a demonstration when everything gets here. Stay tuned…….we’re still cool as cucumbers! 
 
Cross your fingers and say your prayers that the "1930's Playtime" pre-cuts come in before Saturday. I ordered all of the pre-cuts: layer cakes, charm packs, jelly rolls, mini charms, fat quarter bundles, fat eighth bundles and even the hexagons! That's not counting the fabric on the bolt that's coming.....which will probably get here the first week in July??? Hopefully! The pre-cuts always come in before the fabric on the bolt, I'm not sure why. Anyway, the pre-cuts have landed.....they're in the Moda warehouse right now. I hope we get everything that was ordered. 
 
 
I'm so excited about this fabric collection. As previously mentioned, I've been hoarding 1930's, vintage and reproduction fabrics for some time waiting for the right pattern (and technique) to cross my path. After seeing Barbara's quilt last Saturday and looking at the nifty new books we received last week...........I think I'm finally ready to take the first step........of getting ready to get ready!
 
 
Sweetness started his clinicals this week. Stop by the shop if you’d like him to take your blood pressure. Just be sure to sit down for a while so you can enjoy the air conditioning............before he puts the cuff on.....then you too will be cool as a cucumber! 
 
See you Saturday,
P-Dub and Sweetness


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave comments here: